Back in 1956, ANZ introduced a mobile banking service in Sydney, Australia. A similar service was set up in Melbourne and across the Tasman in Wellington, New Zealand.
The Mobile Bank was a branch on wheels – a large van fitted out as a bank branch would travel to country shows, schools, factories and areas outside the city in order to provide banking services for customers.
Among the advanced features of the Mobile Bank van was bullet proof glass, armoured panels and a two-way telephone used to contact the parent branch.
There were also three staff members who travelled with the Mobile Bank– a manager, teller and a messenger/driver who also doubled as the security man.